Jan 20, 2011

The sound of one print ad clapping


Sometimes creativity gets in the way of a good idea. I talk about this a lot, and I'm sure most everyone is pretty sick of hearing me say it. Still, I see creativity, the thing that 's supposed to be our greatest asset in the ad industry, step right up and get in the way of the message. Happens all the time.

Take this EDF ad, for instance. Does is make me stop? Yep. Does it make me curious? Yep. Do I get it at first glance? Nope. When I do get it do I take action? In my case, nope. I wouldn't.

The ad is meant to applaud the athletes of Team EDF for their 2010 performance. Basically, you are supposed to close and reopen, then do it again several times to simulate clapping hands.

I don't know about you, but I might feel a little weird using my own to hands to slap these two pages together as if they were clapping, especially when I have two perfectly good hands of my own.

Of course, what's weirder? Clapping two print ads together, or using your own hands to clap while looking at the ad.

I'd be really curious to hear your thoughts on this one. -Oran

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: