Jul 11, 2010

How To Make A Real Gumbo... Gumbo Gator, That Is.

A few months back made plans to work on a Parker Brand version of the Southwest Louisiana pop culture mascot Gumbeaux Gator. I posted this quick little sketch of my concept, along with a drawing I had done of the original Gumbeaux Gator, which was used as part of a t-shirt design I worked on.


I let is rest for a bit, but this past week I've been pecking along in the evenings, trying to work on the final pen and ink piece. If you've been following this blog then you've probably seen it go through it's various stages. I finished up the inking and ink wash before lunch today, and I wanted to share the final drawing with you.


I'm pleased with the way it turned out. I was trying to mimic my own style from the Monster Mash series I did this time last year. I used Pitt Artist Pens on that series and I used my Sable Brush on this. I was worried that they wouldn't look similar in style, but I think there is a close enough resemblance to satisfy me.

I've had a pretty good response from this piece, so I may be selling prints of it over at my Etsy Store before it's all said and done. I hope you all dig it. Now, on to the next sketchy victim.
Enhanced by Zemanta