Mar 6, 2010

I Want Your "Hex" - A Parker Brand Micro-Sketch


If you know me at all, then you probably know that I've been a Jonah Hex fan ever since I first stumbled into my Dad's collection back in the 80s. Being a fan, and having a moderate amount of skill as a sketch artist, I like to take a stab at 'ol hatchet face from time-to-time.

Anyway, I felt like I had one more micro-sketch in me tonight and I figured my pal Jonah would be as good a subject as any. Here's hopin' that the film does my main man justice,... old west style.

5 comments:

Bubbashelby said...

Wow - that's a great one! Tons of detail - the character of Hex really suits your style.

Oran E. Parker said...

I think you're right. Hex lives in a pretty dirty, gritty world and as much as I'd LOVE to be a clean line artist, I doubt that'll ever happen. I just hack, and hack, and hack on things (mostly to hide my mistakes) but I think I might start playing to that instead of fighting against it. I guess it'd be better embrace it than to fight it. Thanks for your kind words, brother.

Shawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shawn said...

Honestly I think this is easily one of your best. I envy your aggressive style, and how with that style you also get so much detail. Thanks for sharing your work bro.

Oran E. Parker said...

Jonah Hex is an aggressive character, so I guess that works. My ink micro-sketches are done in such a hurry, I guess is lends to the "hacking" style that comes out in this hero book. The paper is pretty toothy, and causes a lot of drag on my pocket brush, but I think it definitely creates an agressive effect. Thanks for popping in, Shawn.