Jan 3, 2010

"Grayson" A Parker Brand Micro-Sketch

I was talking about the current Batman storyline with my buddy Burn the other night and I think we ended up in agreement; when Bruce Wayne comes back from his journey through time (if you don't know, then you're better off), we'd like to see him become more of a "general" in the bat-universe, running his war on crime from the batcave (much like in Batman Beyond and Kingdom Come). We really like Dick Grayson as Batman, and it would be a shame to see him go. Now, don't get me wrong; I like Dick Grayson as Nightwing and as the original Robin, but he's turning out to be a good Batman. It just seems to be the natural progression of things. It would really be nice to see comic books start doing a changing of the guard, allowing the next generation of heroes to step up and take on the mantle of their predecessors. So often, they just bring things back to the status quo, but I'm not sure that is actually what fans want. Anyway, I wanted my first serious drawing of 2010 to be something pretty cool. Since Burn and I had that conversation on New Years Eve, I figured I'd take some time to capture Dick Grayson in his various incarnations. It was fun to do this particular drawing. It gave me a chance to use my new artist models to really capture the anatomy and lighting. All in all, it took about 3 hours. I plan to ink it, but I want to take my time (I really don't want to screw it up). I know I messed up the uniforms a bit (I really should start looking at some images before I start, but I always forget). This was a good way for me to spend a Sunday evening, before I jump back in the advertising world tomorrow morning. It was also a really nice way to start the new year. I'll post the inks once I get a chance to finish them. As always, thanks for stopping by.

Posted via email from So, what does Oran Parker post?

1 comment:

Bubbashelby said...

That's amazing!

I agree that Grayson is doing a bang up job as Batman, but I do miss Bruce in the role. I think Wayne's motivation is too integral a part of the Batman character to allow anyone else to fill the role permanently, though. Unlike, say the GLs (a military/police force) or the Flashes (You can run fast? Me too!) "another" Batman will never have the same emotional drive as the first (Your parents were murdered before your five-year-old eyes too? Samesies!) and therefore will always feel like a shell of the original.

But it's the comic book world, and anything is possible. They could simply publish two timelines and let the fans enjoy both!

But back on topic - your Grayson art piece rocks! Can't wait to see it finished!