Nov 3, 2009

Best $1.75 I've spent all year! (or "Gettin' Freaky With It!")

When I go to Walmart (shiver) by myself to shop for anything, I always make a point to stop by the toy isle. Walmart doesn't have the best selection of cool toys (it's not like I could afford the toys I want anyway), but sometimes I'll see something neat. But, for me, it's not the main toy isles that are cool; it's the discount toy isle (this is "junk" that didn't move, and now they reduced, and reduced again, to get it out the store). Every once in a while I'll find something there that I definitely wouldn't pay full price for, but I'd consider it for $1.75. Well, last night was one of those times when I get to browse the isles without my son wanting every single item on the shelf. I detoured to the discount isle and I saw something that I had to have...a "MADBALL" named "Freaky Fullback." Now, the MADBALLS were really popular (at least to me) when I was in the 6th grade, spawning a cartoon and a kinda of freaky animated special. I was always excited when my Dad would bring home one these freaky little guys. They had these super cool, gross out designs, made of a soft "nerf" like foam rubber. Seeing Freaky Fullback on the shelf brought back a lot of memories; I had to have him. The packaging had been opened (pretty much destroyed), but I taped it all back together to snap some picks (I left the price tag on, just so I could bask in the glow of my super-cheap find a little longer). I dug around to see if there were any others, but from the condition of the packaging I'd say that this thing had been shoved in a box in the warehouse for a while...the last Madball to stick it out. Apparently, Freaky Fullback is a survivor; my kind of fella! Either way, Freaky Fullback is now a member of the elite squad of toys that watch over me as I create wonderful advertising goodies for my clients (but dang it, why couldn't he have been Slobulous). Wanna know more about the Madballs? Check out this post by my Twitter pal @WeirdoToys!

Posted via email from So, what does Oran Parker post?

2 comments:

Thom Trahan said...

You have an impressive shelf there! I think I've mentioned this before, but that KC Superman and Mega-Thor are the BEST. I've been thinking about the KC GL for a while now, but haven't been able to convince my wife it's a good buy.

Also, I KNOW ALL YOUR SECRETS NOW. I can read your whiteboard!

Unknown said...

HA! Yeah...the secrets that lurk in my messed up brain! Which one did you like the best? "Truth#1 Combine your passion with your marketable skill." That's my favorite. Now if I could only figure out how to do that.