May 12, 2010

My ATC Sketch Got Really "Mad"


Last night on Twitter I asked for some suggestions for my next ATC sketch. I got some really good ones (and I plan on doing all of them), but one really rose to the top of the pile... Mad Max. If that one hadn't been suggested, I think I might not have tackled it. Not because I don't like the character; I do. Honestly, Max is such an iconic, cool character, and I really didn't want to take a stab at it and screw it up. Anyway, I needed a warm-up sketch this morning so I figured I'd just jump into the Max card and see where it went. I tried to mimic the classic Mad Max image that we all know and love, and make this card an homage, of sorts. My Copic Marker collection is somewhat limited, so I decided that I'd go for a sepia/monochromatic look. It was a quick sketch, but considering that I spent very little time on it, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. "Thanks" to my co-worker, Judd Bares, for the rad (or should I say "mad") sketch suggestion. I hope you folks dig it.