May 25, 2010

Dear, Dad: A Gift From My Son

I think a lot of people who know me would say that I'm a "glass half empty" kind of person. I prefer to think of myself as a realist. If I'm being honest, I probably lean a bit more toward the pessimistic side of things. Hope is something that I'm always looking for, but am cautious of as well. I try to make my own joy, my own hope, then when a ray of light pops in by accident, I accept it as a rare treat. Last night one of those beams peeked through the clouds, so I wanted to share it's warmth with you.

While cooking dinner, struggling with a terrible headache, my Son went to his book sack and fetched this note he had written for me at school.


I often wonder what my children are thinking when they are alone. As a parent, I do hope that they think of me the way that I think of them; with love and absolute adoration. I feel like it's very easy to fall into the habit of saying "I love you," but not really stopping to realize what that means. As adults we can consciously think about these things; I believe it is important for one's emotional health that they do so. It's when we are alone with our heart and thoughts that we have an opportunity access who we really are. In those times, when love emerges on it's own, it tends to be a very pointed, emotional experience. Knowing that my Son sat down with his own thoughts and generated these words for me was extremely touching, and put me directly in that moment. 




My son has a creative spirit, constantly drawing and crafting, expressing himself through his art. I can see that he is trying to now express his thoughts and creativity through his words,... and this gives this very pessimistic, realistic man the very rare gift of hope.

I know that this post is a bit different than my normal works, so I thank you for stopping by.