Mar 31, 2010

Use What You Have


So, a little over a year ago I started "micro-sketching." I hadn't really drawn seriously, or consistently, in almost 10 years. I bought a Handbook brand sketch book, some PITT Artist Markers and decided that I'd spend 15 to 20 minutes on my lunch breaks just sketching in this little book. It's been healthy for me, all the way around. I started posting these micro-sketches on my Facebook page, then on Twitter, then I started posting them on my blog.

Sounds pretty simple... that's because it is. This one simple decision has opened the door to new friends and creative relationships, a newfound love of art and illustration, and an extensive world of connections that I'd never dreamed possible.

I'm never gonna stop sketching. I don't care what I've got to work with. Today, all I had to use were a few mostly dried up pens and some highlighters, and less than 15 minutes to spare, but I used them. That's the trick to solving just about anything in life. Just use what you have, then take a simple step forward. One action will lead to another action, and then things just grow from there. This falls right in line with my personal motto, "when you don't know what to do, just do something!"

No comments: