Jan 14, 2010

"Poor Clint" A Parker Brand Micro-Sketch (dedicated to Twitter's "Super Sketch Squad")

You know, years ago if a comic book fan like me wanted to communicate with a comic book artist I'd have to get a ticket to a convention, then stand in crazy long lines all day. Even after all of that waiting, I may only get to get a signature, then move along my merry way. Back in the 90's (when I was actually going to cons) that was perfectly fine. It's the way things were and my friends and I were pretty stoked about it. Don't get me wrong; cons are still awesome and I'd still stand in line to meet some of these super talented folks, but social networking sites have changed the game for me entirely.

ENTER "Twitter"
Twitter has been pretty good to me. I've made some great friends and it's opened the door to a whole network of creative people that I would have never had the opportunity to connect with. Over the past 6 months I've been blessed to connect with comic book creators, both writers and artists, that I would have had to have waited in line for hours to meet. 

I've had the pleasure to get to know several of them on a more personal level. It's a joy, and I feel like some real friendships are emerging. One group of guys in particular (who I have deemed the "Super Sketch Squad") have started sketching a character a day and sharing them on Twitter. It's so much fun to see these guys work and create their daily sketches.

Basically, the way it works is one of them will choose the character and then they all draw their version of said character. It's a lot of fun to see them talk about it during the day, then see their posts as the day plays on.

Today, one these fine fellas (a cat by the name of Mitch Gerad) threw my name out there to take part. Now, whether he was cutting up or not, I thought it might be fun to insert myself into the process. My art doesn't hold a candle to these guys (it's fan art... what can you expect), but it's still a lot of fun to connect with them in this way. You see, drawing is a joy. Comic books are fun. That's what they've always been for me, and it's guys like the "Super Sketch Squad" that keep it that way.

The "Super Sketch Squad" chose Ronin (a.k.a. Clint Barton, former Hawkeye) as their character today. Pretty cool choice. I'd never drawn him before, so I thought it would be fun to give it a shot. I used some Prisma color sketch pens (I don't know if I really like them, or not), a Copic grey sketch marker and my Tombo markers to whip out a really quick Ronin micro-sketch. It was fun.

So, here's to you Mitch Gerad, Evan Shaner, Chris Samnee, Declan Shalvey, Mitch Breitweiser and Mike Hawthorne. Thanks for being such a cool group of guy,s and thanks for sharing your talent with us all.

Posted via email from So, what does Oran Parker post?

No comments: