Aug 11, 2008

When creative minds think alike, or simply run out of steam.

So, last year (March 2007) we were asked to come up with a new marketing direction for a local cable company. We wanted to simply their message, so we came up with the idea of using 3 simple icons to represent the services they offered (cable tv, high-speed internet and phone service. It wasn't genius, but it got the message across, which is what it was supposed to do. Here are some samples of the actual boards and ads that we ran.









Like I said; not genius, but it did the trick. Apparently they are still using this style of advertising today.

Well, I was driving down the highway the other day and what did I see? It looks familiar, but somethings not quite right. Oh, wait! It's not even the same cable/tv/internet provider. It's a billboard for a competing company.



I was kind of floored that they would even go this direction, with a direct competitor using the same style. I'm sure that this is something that came down from corporate, but you'd think that someone in the local market would give the creative minds up there a little FYI.

I'm sure that it is just a coincidence, but it's still strange.
I guess everyone is running dry on good ways to market the "bundle" of services that the cable/internet/phone providers are offering.

No comments: