Apr 15, 2008

Vanity, Mistake or Genius: An Outdoor Advertising Oddity

It's not a trick. Your eyes don't deceive you. No Photoshop editing here. You are actually seeing double.




































In my last post I talked about digital outdoor and how you have to keep them simple so people actually have time to read the message. I'd say that's sound enough advice. But here's a solution that never occurred to me. Why put up one board, when you can put up two? The strangeness of it alone makes you look.

Just like one of those folks who saw Jumpin' Jack Flash or Bigfoot, I immediately pulled over and snaked a photo. A couple of thoughts that crossed my mind:
  • Was this on purpose? If so, is it actually a good tactic? It sure made me look, of course not at the actual message.
  • If it was an accident, then how did the paper installer not notice? Seems like as good a reason as any to call into the office and find out if there has been a mistake.
There was a part of me that was hoping that it was on purpose, that someone had a wild hair idea and said "I'm gonna go for it!" But alas, my hopes of finding a maverick advertiser were busted a few days later when I saw the outdoor company pulling the bottom board off.

It looks like someone (probably the business owner) actually noticed that they had put the same board up twice and asked them to correct their mistake. Sorry folks, but this two headed calf ended up being an oversight.

No comments: